The Battle Trophy was commissioned by the then Captain, Allan Govan and his wife Ruby and presented to the Crail Golfing Society for the competition in 1998. Up to and including 2010 it was played as a 36 hole tournament and from 2011 has become a counting event over 72 holes played over the Craighead course.
The name of the Battle Trophy was deliberately chosen to be ambiguous reflecting a number of different possible interpretations for the word Battle in the context of the Fifeness area in general and the Craighead course in particular.
The first interpretation concerns the battles between the Viking invaders and the local Pictish inhabitants, with the Vikings gradually gaining ascendency. In fact the raised earthwork on the Craighead Course known as Dane's Dyke which is a feature the 11th, 14th, 15th and 16th holes is thought to have been built to defend the resulting Viking settlement at Fifeness against the dispossessed Pictish tribes.
The second interpretation concerns the battle against the sea which has impacted local life over the years including the erection of a bell tower on the North Carr Rock by Robert Stevenson in 1821 after a 9 year struggle.
The third interpretation is the battle which visiting golfers have to conquer the demanding Craighead course with its many bunkers, undulating greens and challenging winds.